November 6, 2013

Quilted Blooms for Baby

I have this cousin. Her name is Vanessa and she is just like her mama, my Aunt Miriam—creative, intelligent, imaginative, resourceful, and beautiful. Aunt Miriam was painting, quilting, designing patterns and fabrics, refinishing furniture, creating gorgeous tablescapes, and cooking up festive, fall dinners in oversize gourds from her backyard garden long before such ideas and tutorials were being plastered and pinned all over Pinterest.

Aunt Miriam and Michael

Time spent at Vanessa’s during our summer and holiday visits always consisted of tea parties, playing dress up, crafting, and sleepovers, while our brothers played imaginative games of “Batman and Robin” and “cops and robbers.”  There was always something magical about being a child in their home. Even as we grew and make-believe became a thing of the past we still felt that same magic and love through the creativity Aunt Miriam exuded and shared with us. While at college, Aunt Miriam even walked me through the process of sewing my first quilt (something she had done with her children on many occasions), from which I felt such a large measure of accomplishment. Every ounce of creativity and talent Aunt Miriam possesses was passed right down to her children (if you don't believe me, check out this incredible Batman costume my cousin, Clint, handmade for Halloween this year).


Vanessa, mother of 2, is now creating the same kind of magic for her adorable little ones—Olive and Lorenzo. Vanessa is the founder of Lella Boutique where she shares her delicious quilts, sewing tutorials, and patterns. I am constantly drooling over her lovely creations.

 Lorenzo, Vanessa, & Olive
Apron and oven mitt set, Twinkle Toe stockings, & Tea Party Tuffets

 A few of her beautiful quilts.

Having seen her work, you can only imagine my excitement when this little package arrived on my doorstep a few days ago.


It took everything in me to pause for a moment and snap this photo before tearing open the box to see what was inside. This is what I found.




The colors just so happen to be a perfect match for the nursery, which had me squealing with delight. To make things even sweeter Vanessa even machine quilted “blooms” into the design of the quilt, which added a bit of that magic I so fondly remember growing up.

She must know how much I adore those little, meaningful details. To say I am in love is an understatement. I can't wait to wrap my little one in this beautiful creation! Thank you, Vanessa! XOXO!

No comments:

Post a Comment